Welcome to the life of an American female. Aimlessly wandering the road of youth and adulthood, she shares her tales of growing pains, discoveries and ideas. There might also be a pinch of happiness, a dash of light, and a micro-amount of wisdom within. The author is not liable for any psychological damages you may incur while reading this blog.

The author put it best when she said, "My humor is like a good martini - extra dry and sometimes served dirty."

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

On Growing Up: Dolls

Being a '90s baby, I grew up when Cabbage Patch dolls were popular. They were born in a "hospital" and you could "adopt"the one you wanted. My parents wouldn't let me have one. At the time, I thought they were just being ridiculous. They're just dolls! 

Everybody wants one!!
For the most part, I didn't care for dolls. I liked the American Girl porcelain dolls, but besides a Cabbage Patch doll, there really wasn't any doll I could say I wanted.


Recently, I learned about a different kind of doll, one that is better known as a "reborn." According to WikiPedia, a reborn doll is a "vinyl doll that has been transformed to resemble a human baby with as much realism as possible." Doesn't sound so freaky, huh? Well...watch these videos first:



That's right. Grown women treating dolls like babies, taking them into stores, buying them actual baby clothes, furniture, diapers, you name it. Teens buying them to be "teen moms." It's appalling. You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley as to why many people DO find these dolls repulsive. 

Are the dolls themselves harmful? No. Like the Cabbage Patch dolls, they are just toys, made by humans, for humans. However, it's the emotions we invest in them and the creating of an unnatural bond with them that makes them...well, just plain wrong. 

Now that I'm older and about to become a mom myself, I can understand a little bit of my parents' sentiment of wanting to protect me. Are Cabbage Patch dolls evil? Will they turn every person that has one into a total freakazoid? Nope and nope. Same thing for "reborn" dolls. My parents wanted me to enjoy childhood and not feel tied down with the responsibility of a baby...a baby that's just a toy. They wanted me to use my imagination and enjoy life, but they didn't want me getting involved in something that's almost cult-like. Good call. I doubt I would have become obsessed if I had been permitted to have a CP doll, but they made the decision they thought was best. 

I want what's best for my future kiddo, too. I don't want to see them involved in something so...well, darn creepy. Regular baby dolls? If we must. These mock children? Um, no. So...if my future kiddo ever comes up to me and asks for one of these freaky reborn dolls, my answer will be a swift "no," and it'll probably take them 18+ years to understand why, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment