Welcome to the life of an American female. Aimlessly wandering the road of youth and adulthood, she shares her tales of growing pains, discoveries and ideas. There might also be a pinch of happiness, a dash of light, and a micro-amount of wisdom within. The author is not liable for any psychological damages you may incur while reading this blog.

The author put it best when she said, "My humor is like a good martini - extra dry and sometimes served dirty."

Monday, December 2, 2013

More on Gender...of the LGBT Variety

I'm not homophobic. I'll admit, the idea of two men is much more foreign and weird to me than the idea of two women. I suppose that's because I am a woman and I know the closeness two girlfriends can have. I'm not weirded out by my own parts, so I guess I find it less weird. Society also makes two females seem somehow more acceptable than two men. Anyway, I think it's all summed up best by this sentiment:

Ask a heterosexual person, "Can you stop being straight? Can you be attracted to a member of the same sex, right now?" Their answer will surely be "no." Well, it's the same for homosexual people. They are attracted to members of the same sex, exclusively. The shades of grey come up with bisexual, polysexual, and asexual (etc) people. Look it up. It's interesting, if not slightly confusing, stuff. Basically, sex is sex. It's a personal act and really none of anyone's business except those involved.



But alas, this post isn't so much about sex as it is a particular subgroup of people: those that are born as one gender but identify as another. I am confused, but not bothered when I see a male dress as a female, have a female alter-ego, what-have-you. Whatever floats your boat, dude. What gets me, and what I often bite my tongue at, is when I see a he (as a she) rant about things like PMS, periods, etc.

I seriously get a little bit offended.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so I bite my tongue, roll my eyes and move on. I don't really know how to approach such a topic, anyway.

I have no clue what it feels like to be born one gender, yet identify as another. I have no clue what it's like to have a penis. I have no clue what it feels like to be kicked in the kahunas, as I don't have, nor will I ever have, kahunas.

I do, however, know exactly how it feels to be a woman, with a functioning vagina, uterus, and ovaries. I know what a monthly cycle feels like. I know about cramps, nausea, acne, bloat, breast tenderness and mood swings. If you're born a man, even if you have a sex change, you will never ever know what a period feels like. Ever. So don't pretend you know.

People born as one gender that identify as another have their own set of problems. I would never pretend to know what that feels like, just as I don't think a man should "play pretend" at having a period, even if he really wants to be a woman. I also don't think a woman who identifies as a man should ever pretend to really know what it's like to be a man.

Am I the only one that feels this way? What's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment